The Student News Site of Scheck Hillel Community School

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Return of Oded Karavani

Last Thursday, at around 4:00 PM, the school student body received an email from High School Principal Mr. Thompson-Echevarria titled “Mandatory All Student Meeting 10:30 Tomorrow.” In his email, Mr. Thompson wrote how it was essential for every student to be present in the gym so he could deliver a message that “can only be delivered in person.” Only a select few in Hillel’s administration knew what was in store for the students. Teachers and students scrambled to find out the message Mr. Thompson would communicate on Friday morning.

An hour before midterm exams would be administered, students flocked into the gym, wondering what would be discussed. Students sat down by the bleachers as Rabbi Sprung began a D’var Torah on our role in making miracles happen. The microphone was then handed to Mr. Thompson as a suspicious cardboard tower was wheeled into the gym. Mr. Thompson began his speech by talking about some startling information he received on Wednesday. He said that he felt the information must be communicated to Hillel students and teachers. “The only way that I felt that I could ensure every person in this room would feel the way that I felt on Wednesday was to show you…”

The cardboard was lifted and underneath was Rav Oded Karavani, wearing his IDF uniform. Students ran to greet the Director of Student Life who had been serving in Israel for nearly two months. (Click here for video) Students were ecstatic that Oded returned home and celebrated with “Hillel” cheers, smiles, and hugs. Many students joined him as he was reunited with his family (here).

For the past two months, Rav Oded worked to load tanks for firing in Gaza. He documented some of his experiences fighting in Israel on his Instagram page (here). Though his posts reassured his safety, nothing compared to his physical presence on campus.

“I really felt that when Oded showed up, our whole school lit up,” says 10th-grade Representative Liat Shechter, “These past few weeks without him have definitely felt off and I think everyone can agree that Oded is the light of our school. He just makes everyone feel happy and truly makes Hillel feel like home. Seeing him surprise his kids made me extremely happy and was super heartwarming. Oded surpising us was the BEST CHANNUKAH MIRACLE!”

Upon Oded’s return, 10th-grader Jake Labbie had the following message for him: “Oded, welcome back from Israel. I really missed you. I can’t wait until after Winter Break when we will have you for Tefilla again!”

Rav Oded’s return will surely be remembered as a major event in Hillel’s history. Welcome back, Oded!

Donate to The Roar Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Scheck Hillel Community School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.