The Student News Site of Scheck Hillel Community School

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

Humans of Hillel: Avital Ayzerov

Humans of Hillel: Avital Ayzerov

“Growing up in New Jersey – in a very non-Jewish area – my life was not driven by my Judaism. I was very disconnected from my religion. I attended a public school that was predominantly Christian, where they celebrated Christian holidays and taught that religion at school. Most people in my town had never met a Jew or knew anything about them. Unfortunately, I grew up with a similar upbringing, not practicing Jewish traditions or holidays, not learning about Judaism, or being taught to celebrate my identity. I had no other Jewish friends, so my religion was not a driving force in my life. I gave no importance to it. When I was in 9th grade, my parents decided to move our family to Miami and enroll me in Scheck Hillel, a Jewish school (something brand new to me). I was more comfortable in my Christian school than I was in a Jewish school, although it was where I truly belonged. As I started meeting people, I became more invested and interested in my Judaic classes. I learned more traditions such as Shabbat dinner and its importance. I became more in touch with my religion, which was a part of my life I had previously (unintentionally) neglected. In my past four years at Hillel, I have grown increasingly connected to Judaism in a way I never thought I would. It has become something I intentionally put time into. Additionally, I observed the unique connection I had with other Jews versus the one I had in my old school. Instantly, I felt much more comfortable and understood upon coming to Hillel than I had in my previous school. I had a connection with my Jewish classmates, and I could share my Judaism with them. The transition I made from New Jersey to Miami/Hillel was the best thing to happen to me. It completely changed my life. Now, I would not be able to imagine the life I built without the connection to Judaism. As Israel is at war now, it just reinforces the idea of how important being connected to religion and the Jewish community is. In tough times, where the entire world is facing anti-semitism, it is beautiful to see the connection among Jews from all over the world. They always have each other’s backs in times of peril. This family is like no other, and I am so glad I was able to discover my place at a young age.”

-Avital Ayzerov, Class of ‘24

Donate to The Roar Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Scheck Hillel Community School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.