The Student News Site of Scheck Hillel Community School

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

What Makes Our Faculty “Roar”?

We all have something in our lives that makes us “roar.” There is always at least one thing that drives us, that inspires us, that pushes us to be the best people we can possibly be. It is one undeniable, special truth about humanity that Scheck Hillel will always help cultivate, whether staff or student. Within our school’s esteemed staff, two new Hillel upper school teachers have offered us insights into what makes them “roar.” Esther Levy, high school Hebrew teacher, and Dr. Justin Rudelson, permanent substitute high school English teacher, were interviewed. 

Morah Levy, a native Israeli, teaches several Hebrew language classes of varying levels. When interviewed on the subject, Levy said that what makes her “roar” is her family and her students. She mentioned that her home, children, and husband drive her. Regarding her passion for education, she said, “For me, it’s the most important thing.” She has cemented a strong career in education, having taught at multiple schools in Israel. More recently, she taught at Posnack Jewish Day School before coming to Scheck Hillel.  

Dr. Rudelson joined the Hillel crew this year as a substitute coordinator, but when a high school English teacher couldn’t return on time, he stepped up and took on the role of a permanent substitute. When faced with the burning question of what makes him “roar,” the sub responded: “Human rights and international education for Jewish students.” Rudelson is the Vice Chair of the Uyghur Human Rights Project, a Nobel-Peace-Prize-nominated organization dedicated to helping a mistreated Turkic-Muslim minority who are being subjected to cultural and physical genocide in China. He is here to devote the rest of his career to the education of Jewish students. 

Each of these teachers presented their personal drives and goals. It is truly inspiring to see a diversity of ideas and passions on display where so many things are alike. No matter what age we are, what language we speak, or where we come from, we can all unite under the banner of passion. For some, what that passion is may not be so clear. That’s perfectly fine, but it’s there nonetheless. The incredible heterogeneity of interest and drive that the diverse population of Hillel offers makes one ponder a profound question: What makes me “roar”? 

Donate to The Roar Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Scheck Hillel Community School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.