The Student News Site of Scheck Hillel Community School

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

Off to a Good Start! Hillel Begins the 2023-2024 Academic Year

The 2023-2024 school year has officially begun! Let’s look back at our first week of school…

This past Monday, freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors alike participated in the school orientations. At the orientations, students were given a glimpse of what is yet to come this academic year. Students were introduced to their teachers, as well as several new members of the Scheck Hillel faculty. After team-building activities, Rav Oded Karavani, the high school Director of Student Life, gave students much to look forward to. In development this year are class trips, Shabbatons, and other such activities. 

On Thursday, students gathered in the gym for a “Back to School Event,” led by Rav Oded. At the event, the four high school classes went head-to-head in a game of “Red Light/Green Light” to compete for the “most boujee prize ever.” The prize: First dibs at Hillel’s new concession offerings. While the Senior class may be the first group of students to try out the food that will soon be available, all other high school classes will get a taste of what the new year has to offer. (Whether it be the taste of freshly-brewed coffee or high school-only lunch meals.)

When interviewed on his thoughts about our first week back, High School Director Mr. Thompson-Echevarria said: “I do genuinely feel very excited about this year. I think our faculty came back with a ton of positive energy. Our students did too… It could be felt in every classroom. It was exciting to see such deep learning happening in the first week. Our teachers didn’t hold back and the students were ready to go. I feel like the positive momentum heading into 23’- 24’ is some of the best I’ve seen.” 

Rav Oded was also asked about his thoughts. He responded: “Being the Student Life Director for the high school this year, my heart brims with excitement and enthusiasm. I’m truly honored to embark on this journey alongside our vibrant student body, dedicated faculty, and supportive parents – all with a strong commitment to an inclusive campus environment. I’m so eager to help create engaging events, meaningful activities, and memorable experiences that will shape a vibrant tapestry of student life together. Let’s create a year filled with growth, camaraderie, and endless possibilities!”

I couldn’t have said it better myself! Welcome back to school, everyone!

Donate to The Roar Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Scheck Hillel Community School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.