The Student News Site of Scheck Hillel Community School

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

Community Spotlight: Sheldon Fox

Community Spotlight: Sheldon Fox

Sheldon Fox is a news reporter on Channel 7 News. He started out wanting to be a sports reporter. The rush of calling out events live exhilarated him. He found that same feeling while reporting news with stories of events happening in the world. Once he started reporting news, he never stopped. 

At the beginning of his career, there was a lot of competition, waiting around, and paying dues. One regret that he has is not getting into his career fast enough. If he could go back and change something in his life, it would be getting into the news industry sooner. Through his years of being a reporter, he has found that the most exciting part of his job is the rush of telling people a new breaking story. 

Although there are many aspects of his job that he loves, there are some challenges, including the weather, logistics, crowd noise, and internet issues. 

As Jews, there are certain values and morals that we learn are important. Fox feels that these morals, values, and lessons that Judaism taught him at a young age helped him when confronting issues that deal with ethics, compassion, empathy, and patience. These lessons have also helped him when reporting live news, speaking with people in real time, as well as reporting on sensitive subjects.

One piece of advice he would give a young person hoping to get into the news broadcasting industry is to “get into a place where you can watch and learn from people who have been doing it for a long time. Make sure that you are being useful. This is a good way to get a job, as well as learn how to best do the job.”

Donate to The Roar Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Scheck Hillel Community School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.