The Student News Site of Scheck Hillel Community School

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Month of Elul: Jewish Life, Scheck Hillel, and the Community

The month of Elul is a significant time in the Jewish calendar, as it is a time of reflection and introspection leading up to the High Holy Days. During this time, Jews worldwide pause to consider their actions, seek forgiveness, and make amends. It is a time to focus on personal growth, repentance, and spiritual renewal. The sound of the shofar, a ram’s horn, is blown every morning during the month of Elul to help awaken the soul and remind individuals of the importance of this time of year. We await the days ahead of us to ask for forgiveness. We cry, laugh, pray, and appreciate life and the little things Hashem does daily. Tzedakah is significant and we must carry out deeds of kindness (Gemilut Chasadim) throughout the year. These deeds acquire greater significance in the month of Elul, as they show one’s dedication to morality and self-improvement. The “King in the Field” is a popular Jewish metaphor that represents the notion of God being more approachable and available during this month, making it an appropriate time for prayer and repentance.

Donate to The Roar Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Scheck Hillel Community School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.