The Student News Site of Scheck Hillel Community School

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

The Roar Post

Freshmen Embrace the Values of Elul With an Exciting Trip to Tigertail

On the first day of September, around halfway through the month of Elul, the freshman class of 2027 visited the Tigertail Lake Recreation Center in Broward College for a day of happiness, community, and fun!

The month of Elul is a time to reflect on our actions and prepare a clean slate for the upcoming year. By ending the Jewish year with an exciting trip to Tigertail – with its intense rock climbing, fun-filled inflatables, and peaceful kayaking trips across the lake – we set a tone for the next 12 months. Our new school year is going to be the best one yet if we remain positive, introspective, and courageous in the months to come!

After a loud and crowded bus ride, we arrived at the park. The freshmen immediately separated into groups and headed to their first challenges. One of these challenges was the “Aqua Challenge,” which was a set of inflatable rides and obstacles sprawled across a portion of the giant lake. After an hour of silly mood-lifting challenges (such as the slides and the notorious hamster wheel), the students had a delicious snack to keep them going. Student Life Director, Rav Oded Karavani, supplied us with sweet donuts, salty chips, and plenty of water to keep us hydrated as we ventured to our next destination. 

The ropes challenge, with its tedious cargo net and rock walls, gave us a tough time and a rush of adrenaline as we raced to complete the courses. The most relaxing of the three activities came at the end. Students could kayak, canoe, or paddleboard across the lake. While some gazed at nature and took time to reflect, others spent their time chatting with friends while cooling off in the refreshing lake water.

One might struggle to make the connection between a day trip and the spiritual values of the final month of the Jewish calendar (especially considering the vast differences between the two). But, as mentioned previously, a happy and healthy new year starts with a happy and healthy mind. Hillel’s administration seemed to point this out by sending the new high schoolers on this recreational activity. Even with the stress of a new chapter in our lives catching up to us freshmen, we still had a blast on this field trip. We embraced our love of fun, friends, and our class as a whole. Our experience sets an example of how life as a Jewish student is meant to be. Any off-campus event or day trip, when done with the right mindset, can have a lasting effect on our Jewish and academic new year.

Elul is a time for introspection. We had the opportunity to enter the High Holidays and the year ahead with an enriching experience and a happy mindset to keep us moving forward. Note for the future: Let’s kick off every year with something fun!

Donate to The Roar Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of Scheck Hillel Community School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.